Student Shadowing provides a unique opportunity for Year 12 and 13 students from schools and colleges in the UK to gain an insight into studying at LSE.
Students spend half a day at LSE shadowing an undergraduate student. As part of the day, they will:
- attend an undergraduate lecture
- have a tour of the campus
- quiz students on their university life
We hope that shadowing a student will allow participants to make an informed decision about whether to apply to LSE.
In 2019/20, over 700 students took part in LSE's Student Shadowing Scheme.
Student Shadowing runs from October to March each year. Unfortunately, the Student Shadowing scheme will not run in 2021/22. Applications to the Student Shadowing scheme in 2022/23 will open in September 2022.
To receive updates on Student Shadowing please sign up to our mailing list.
In the meantime, please see other ways you can Meet, Visit and Discover LSE.
If you have any questions, please contact Alice Else
Students accepted onto the Student Shadowing scheme will shadow a current undergraduate student (Student Ambassador) at LSE for half a day.
Typical visit programme (2.5 hrs):
- A Student Ambassador will meet you at an agreed meeting point on the LSE campus. You can expect to be in a shadowing group with around 5 other prospective students.
- Your Student Ambassador will lead a campus tour, answering any questions you may have on the way.
- You will attend a relevant lecture with your Student Ambassador.
- You will be given an LSE branded Keep-Cup and taken for a complimentary drink and chat with your Student Ambassador in one of our student cafes. The LSE Keep-Cup is yours to keep and is part of LSE Student Marketing and Recruitment’s Green Impact strategy, helping towards ensuring “a sustainable future for the social sciences” (LSE’s 2030 strategy)
- You will complete a brief online evaluation form about your day and your experience of the Student Shadowing scheme.
- There will be an opportunity afterwards for you to speak to someone from the Student Marketing and Recruitment team with any queries about admissions or studying at LSE.
You may also be interested in combining your Student Shadowing day with an LSE public lecture or to experience the opportunities and attractions in the area around campus – see our information on london Life.
“It was really insightful and helped me to understand what a lecture would consist of.”
"Attending this shadowing scheme has allowed me to get a student’s insight into life at LSE, which has helped me decide that I would like to apply to LSE next year."
"It was great to see what a lecture is really like and how students spend their days at LSE. The student I shadowed was really friendly and helpful."
“LSE has more of a campus feel than I thought it had.”
“Speaking to an undergrad gave me a better understanding of student life at LSE and in London.”
This scheme is highly competitive. Therefore, we would encourage applications from students who are on track to meet our minimum entry requirements for the programme/subject they are interested in shadowing. Refer to our individual degree programme pages for the entry requirements.
LSE Student Marketing and Recruitment collects and uses data to run and evaluate the impact of our activities. The following data protection statement explains what we will and won't do with your data.
LSE Student Marketing and Recruitment and your data (PDF)
This statement was updated on 8 October 2019.