Effective leadership is essential in any organisation, and in times of disruption, resilient leaders are more important than ever to the survival and success of a business and its employees. Organisations who have a high capacity for change - and professionals who are able to successfully lead through periods of volatility and uncertainty - can leverage opportunities for growth and innovation.
LSE’s Leadership and Change online certificate course will enhance your self-awareness about your own leadership strengths and weaknesses, and equip you with the skills to develop yourself and others, grow your influence and impact, and employ strategies to effectively drive change. Explore the facets of leadership in the context of disruption and uncertainty, and increase your capacity to offer value to your organisation as an authentic, transformational leader.
Over the course of eight weeks, you’ll navigate ethics in business and decision-making, and learn to foster a commitment to adapting to transformation. Using influencing techniques and analysis, you’ll learn to manage diversity and potential team conflict, and explore organisational culture and collaboration through various frameworks. Unpack the theories and models of coaching and mentoring, and understand how to apply them to your context to excel under any external or market conditions.
This course is certified by the United Kingdom CPD Certification Service, and may be applicable to individuals who are members of, or are associated with, UK-based professional bodies. The course has an estimated 70 hours of learning.
Registrations close: 27 July 2021
Course starts (Orientation opens): 4 August 2021
Module 1 starts: 11 August 2021
Duration: 8 weeks (excluding orientation)
Commitment: 6–8 hours per week
- Discover your authentic leadership strengths to effectively lead within the context of change and disruption
- Examine the relationship between effective team leadership, and psychological safety and pro-diversity values
- Explore the transformational and transactional model of leadership, and identify ways you can apply elements of it to your own skill set
- Learn how to drive change through collaboration, communication, and influence, and gain an enhanced understanding of organisational culture by creating a culture map that plots out values, behaviours, and practical steps
- Address individual and organisational ethical dilemmas using decision-making frameworks that create links between personal and corporate purpose
- Use coaching and mentorship principles, as well as the GROW (Goals, Reality, Options, Will) and solutions-focused models to create development plans for others
- Orientation Module
- Module 1: Authentic leadership
- Module 2: Transformational leadership
- Module 3: Contemporary themes in business ethics
- Module 4: Leading change and effective influence
- Module 5: Leading diverse teams
- Module 6: A culture of collaboration
- Module 7: Character and ethical decision-making
- Module 8: Coaching and mentoring to develop others
Rebecca Newton – Organisational Psychologist and Senior Visiting Fellow, Department of Management, LSE
Emma Soane – Assistant Professor, Department of Management, LSE
Alexander (Sandy) Pepper – Professor of Management Practice, Department of Management, LSE
There are no prerequisites for this course.
This course is presented entirely online, in collaboration with leader in online education, GetSmarter. View this Leadership and Change online certificate course on the GetSmarter website.
Modules are released on a weekly basis, and can be completed in your own time and at your own pace.
This interactive, supportive teaching model is designed for busy professionals and results in unprecedented certification rates for online courses.
All reading materials for this course will be made accessible to you through the Online Campus. Notes for each module are often downloadable, and you are able to save any information or collateral you use to your personal profile.