MRes/PhD Political Science Admissions FAQ

How do I apply?

Applications for 2022-23 entry will reopen in October 2021 (and close in early January 2022). Students should first read all the relevant information on the MRes/PhD Political Science prospectus page, and then apply through the Graduate Admissions online application system. Make sure that you choose the MRes/PhD in Political Science when making your application. Please submit your application, with all required documents, by the deadline to ensure that it is considered by the department and put forward for any relevant funding you may be eligible for.

Please check your junk folder in case emails regarding your application have been redirected there; this will enable you to respond to any queries regarding your application (including interview invitations) as soon as possible.

What are the entry requirements?

Candidates should have a first class or very good upper second class undergraduate degree (normally 65+) and a taught master's degree (or equivalent) in Political Science or a closely related discipline (such as Sociology, Economics or History). We do not require any GRE/GMAT scores.

Go to the 'Entry Requirements' page for further details.

Where can I find out the equivalency of my qualification/s?

You can find out the equivalent entry requirement grades and classifications for the country/countries you undertook your qualification/s in by looking at the International Students admissions information web page. From here, you can select the relevant countries and see the equivalent grades/classifications that would be deemed suitable for Research programmes, as well as take a look at other information you might find helpful if and when you apply for the programme at LSE.

What are the English language requirements?

If your first language is not English and your previous degree was not taught entirely in English, you will be required to provide evidence of your English language ability. Full details can be found on the English language requirements page.

How can I get funding for my PhD?

We offer the opportunity of a fully funded PhD programme for some students. Election for funding is based on receipt of application to the programme by the relevant deadline (for 2021-22 entry this was 14 January 2021). There is no separate application form for LSE studentship or ESRC funding. You do not need to inform the Department of your intention to be put forward for funding.

We recommend that applicants also look into external sources of funding at the time of application, to increase their chances of securing funding for the duration of the programme. This will not affect the nomination process for LSE or ESRC studentships.

Further information on funding

Can I contact academic faculty to discuss my research topic? How can I find out if my research topic is suitable for the department?

You should think carefully about the suitability of your PhD project and how it fits within the Department of Government at LSE. To do this, you could take a look at our people page to find out more about our academics' research interests and to help you in assessing whether or not your research would be a good fit for the department. You are welcome to contact potential supervisors in advance but it is not essential to do this.

How long should my research proposal be?

For the MRes/PhD in Political Science, your research proposal should be approximately 2,000 words in length (including bibliography).

You may find that an "outline" is requested on the online application system; this is because our programme incorporates an MRes year, and so it is expected that your proposal would be adapted during this element. However, we recommend that, for our programme, you still submit a full research proposal that is similar in structure to one you would submit for an MPhil/PhD programme (as specified on the Graduate Admissions Supporting Documents page, linked to below), so that the selection committee can get a better sense of your research interests and ideas at this stage.

For more information about what questions you should answer in your research proposal, as well as guidance on what to include in other elements of your application, please visit Graduate Admissions' Supporting Documents page.

How can I ensure that my writing sample fits the application requirements?

Ideally, we would like to see a writing sample of a marked assignment from your most recent programme of study. This can be in the form of a degree essay of around 3,000 words (including bibliography), or an extract of comparable length from a longer piece of work.

We recognise that not all applicants will have a writing sample that fulfils these criteria. As a result, applicants should aim to submit a sample that is as close as possible to the following:

  • The sample should relate to your proposed research topic (or more broadly to the general area of political science that you are interested in)
  • The sample should be in English and must be your own work - if the assignment was not originally written in English, you should translate it yourself.

Can I apply if I'm currently completing an MA/MSc and am not due to receive my grades before the application deadline?

As highlighted in our entry requirements, we look favourably on applicants who have completed an MA or MSc degree in Political Science, or a closely related discipline, before entry onto the MRes/PhD. However, you are still able to apply and receive an offer if you are currently undertaking a master's degree and do not yet have final grades.

If you are currently undertaking a master’s degree, you may wish to consider asking your academic referees to include information about your performance and predictive grades in their reference letters.

I already have an MRes/MPhil qualification - can I skip the one year MRes part of the programme?

The MRes year is an integral part of the MRes/PhD in Political Science. It provides an important underpinning in methods and research design to enable students to upgrade to PhD status. It is unlikely that an applicant would be able to skip year one and begin in year two. Any decision regarding this would remain at the discretion of the School after an offer had been made. All applicants need to apply to the 1+4 MRes/PhD in Political Science programme in the first instance.

Is there a different application deadline for current LSE students?

No. The deadline is the same for all applicants, including current LSE students.

How do I apply to be a Visiting Research Student (VRS) in the department?

If you are currently a student pursuing research at another institution, then you may be interested in applying to be a VRS in the department, which would enable you to attend courses and benefit from the expertise of the LSE faculty, Library and academic support services for a duration of one term up to one academic year. Please note that a tuition fee is applicable for this period of study (see the programme page link below for more information).

We welcome applications that complement the academic interests of members of staff in the Department, and so we recommend that you take a look at our People page before applying. Once you have found an academic whose research interests are similar to your own you should contact them directly, outlining your proposed area of research, to see if they will agree, in principle, to supervise you during your time at LSE.

More information about the scheme and how to apply can be found on the VRS Government programme page.

Can I study the programme entirely online/by distance learning?

Unfortunately not, no. Students are expected to be resident in London for the beginning of the programme and into the PhD element, as they are expected to be in regular attendance at the LSE for lectures and seminars in their MRes year, and then for workshops, seminars and supervisory meetings during the PhD itself (unless the School has given them permission to reside outside of the UK, undertake fieldwork, or study abroad in later years). The programme is not designed to be taken entirely online or by distance learning, especially not during the taught MRes year.

Although Covid-19 has meant that some students have had to reside outside of London and attend meetings online, it is still expected that students come to campus if and when they are able to.

I have an enquiry about the status of my application, who should I contact?

The Graduate Admissions Office deals with all enquiries regarding applications in progress. Please visit the Graduate Admissions Website for further details on how to contact Graduate Admissions.

We wish you luck in your application.